Saturday, June 30, 2007

Facts and the bulletins


Craig/Scottish legend Irving Gordon/PO Sundelin

Apparently, bulletin staff don't always know what happens on a deal and assumes something. Time is short when you've got a report to write you may be forgiven, I guess. Case in print from the semi-final. I had:

J52
A532
T54
Q84

The bidding started on my right with an 2S showing 8-11 hcp and a (5)6 card suit (according to cc). LHO raised to 4S and it was my lead.

A blind lead from the minors did not attract my attention. I've seen more than a few of these where 4 tricks were cashable and the wrong lead resulted in overtricks instead, for example if a strong diamond suit would hit in dummy. I led therefore the ace of hearts. Dummy went down with:

_____QT63
_____KT8
_____A2
_____KJ65
J52
A532
T54
Q84

Partner discouraged with the 7 and I promptly shifted to a diamond to dummys ace, partner signalling strength this time. Declarer played a spade to hand, partner following (declarer only 5) and led the T of clubs. What do you do? Quick decision!

I played low as I could see only one heart, one diamond and I figured a club misguess was our best shot. Declarer ran it and made 10 tricks on this layout:

_____QT63
_____KT8
_____A2
_____KJ65
J52________8
A532_______QJ74
T54________KQ76
Q84________A973
_____AK974
_____96
_____J983
_____T2

Declarer could now repeat the club finesse but it didn't matter, it's easy to ruff your losers in dummy and come to 10 tricks. A misguess was our only shot. This deal cost 6 imps when our comrades missed this one in the first half against Texans.

According to the bulletin, I shifted to a low club in trick 2 and they claimed that a diamond lead and passive defence (including club cover) sinks the contract.

Think again.

3 comments:

Paul Gipson said...

The facts that the bulletin did cover well was your excellent performance in coming third.

Particularly outstanding considering that you, and the winners, were only 4-man squads.

Well done!

ulven said...

Thanks Paul!

Didn't you and I play a session together about 15 years ago in some suburban bridge club in London where you and Andy worked a bit?

Hitting your apartment in the wee hours for backgammon - ring a bell?

Paul Gipson said...

Not me I'm afraid!

We haven't met except that I kibitzed you in the Spingold semi in Washington (2002).